7. Final Solution
7.1 Procedures: Detail all procedures and experimental design to be used for data collection
1. Obtain 2 Arduinos, 1 Grove DHT11 sensor, 1 Grove BMP180 sensor, 1 Grove 315MHz RF link kit and 2 Grove shields
2. Connect DHT11 (Humidity and Temperature sensor) to pin A0, BMP180 (Barometer sensor) to pin I2C, 1 Grove 315 MHz receiver to the arduino connecting to the computer via the UART on the shield and 1 Grove 315 MHz transmitter to the arduino being sent up in the balloon via the UART on the shield.
3. Test the connection of the equipment to ensure that the data can be transmitted smoothly.
4. Mount the equipment on the inner surface of the housing.
5. Fill the balloon with helium until the balloon is about 1m in diameter.
6. Tie the balloon to the anchor hoop (Fig 1.1) and ensure that it is resting on top of the housing with minimal gaps (Fig 1.2)
7. Tie a string to the anchor hoop
8. Set the balloon into the air, anchoring it with the string so that it does not fly away and above 60m.
9. Retrieve the information that is pinged onto the computer (Temperature, Humidity and Pressure) (Fig 1.4)
10. Record findings of temperature, humidity and pressure on a graph.
11. After 12 hours (from 6am to 6pm), take the balloon down to prevent the equipment from getting damaged or the balloon from flying away.
7.2 Risk and Safety: Identify any potential risks and safety precautions to be taken.
- We will need to ensure that our balloon does not fly up too high in the sky such that the balloon is lost and interferes with Singapore Air Safety regulations (http://www.caas.gov.sg/caas/en/Regulations/Airspace_Management/Air_Navigation_Hazard_x_Obstruction_Policies/Hot_Air_Balloon_Operations.html).
- The balloon may burst due to the tension the helium gives.
- We have never worked with helium before, so we have to be extremely cautious.
- Inhaling helium can cause oxygen deprivation and too much of this may lead to brain damage
- It is extremely important to be cautious of the weather (sudden downpour / lightning) as it will be disastrous if lightning strikes our weather balloon and we would get electrocuted in the process.
- Letting go of the balloon will lead to pollution